SubAssistant is a great way to get your foot in the door as a new substitute teacher. But, ultimately, we'd all rather have teachers clamoring over each other to request us as a sub for their classroom! STEDI recently listed a list of suggestions, sourced from substitute teachers, on how to become a more requested substitute teacher.
- Follow the lesson plans. As a substitute teacher I am not sure how important the work is for the whole unit, so I do exactly what the permanent teacher asks me.
- Leave the classroom as clean as you found it.
- Ask the secretary if there is a preferred list and if s/he would put you on it, if s/he feels comfortable.
- It takes time to become trusted as a substitute teacher, so go to the same schools as often as you can.
- Be positive when in the teacher’s lounge.
- Grade papers when possible; alphabetize assignments to make grading easier for the permanent teacher.
Read more suggestions at the STEDI blog.